I love pizza.
But there’s one type of pizza I love more than all the others which inspired the creation of this blog: Brooklyn style pizza.
I visited New York for the first time my senior year of college. It was life-changing.
I went for a series of lectures at an investing conference, and also visited a handful of prominent Wall Street firms. But none of this “important” stuff was what changed my life.
It was the pizza.
New York pizza is just different. It’s how pizza is supposed to be.
If I sound romantic about pizza, it’s because I am (I started a pizza blog, remember?).
If you’re wondering what all the hype is about and asking what is Brooklyn style pizza, keep reading for my complete guide.
What Does Brooklyn Style Pizza mean?
What makes Brooklyn style pizza special is the crust, but you shouldn’t overlook the toppings, either.
Brooklyn Style Pizza Crust
Brooklyn style pizza crust is known for its thin and crispy texture, which is perfect for folding and eating on the go.
It is a type of pizza crust that has become synonymous with the New York-style pizza scene, and its popularity has spread to other parts of the world. The crust is often referred to as the “New York-style” crust because of its origins in the Brooklyn area of New York City.
The Brooklyn style pizza crust is made from a simple blend of flour, water, yeast, salt, and sugar. Cornmeal is also often added at some restaurants to make the pie even crispier. The dough is mixed and allowed to rest for several hours to develop flavor and texture. After the dough has rested, it is stretched out by hand and baked.
Brooklyn style pizza is cooked in a very hot oven which primarily does 2 things:
- Despite its thinness, the crust is still chewy and satisfying to eat. In addition to the temperature it is cooked at, the high gluten content of the dough helps to give the crust its structure and texture.
- Brooklyn style pizza crust is also known for its slightly charred edges. This charred flavor adds an extra layer of complexity to the pizza’s overall taste profile, making it even more delicious.
There is no better pizza crust on the planet than Brooklyn style crust.
Brooklyn Style Pizza Toppings
In terms of toppings, Brooklyn style pizza is typically topped with a simple tomato sauce and (typically) a blend of mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. This minimalist approach allows the crust to shine and adds to the overall crispiness of the pizza.
However, customers can add any toppings they desire, from pepperoni and sausage to mushrooms and peppers.
Where to Get Brooklyn Style Pizza
I have plans to travel back to New York…because of the pizza.
If you’re ever in the Big Apple, go grab a slice, fold it, then go back for seconds.
If your local pizza joint serves Brooklyn style pizza, order it. I’m willing to be you never order another type of pizza again.
It’s almost against my “religion” to recommend a pizza chain, but Domino’s actually does a pretty good job with its Brooklyn style pizza.
How to Make Brooklyn Style Pizza Crust at Home
Making Brooklyn style pizza at home can be a fun and rewarding experience. Here is a step-by-step guide to making your own Brooklyn style pizza crust:
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the bread flour, sugar, and yeast. Mix well.
- Check out the best pizza dough mixers
- Gradually add in the warm water, stirring the mixture until it forms a sticky dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a clean, oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise in a warm, draft-free area for about 1-2 hours, until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 500°F. If you have a pizza stone, place it in the oven to preheat as well.
- If you’re a regular pizza maker, I highly recommend buying a pizza oven – I like the Ooni Koda 16
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down and divide it into two equal portions.
- On a floured surface, use your hands to stretch and shape each portion of dough into a thin circle, about 12 inches in diameter.
- Transfer each circle of dough onto a piece of parchment paper.
- Add your desired toppings, keeping in mind that less is more when it comes to Brooklyn style pizza. A simple tomato sauce and cheese blend, along with a few toppings of your choice, is all you need.
- Use a pizza peel to transfer the pizzas, still on their parchment paper, onto the preheated pizza stone (or baking sheet).
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes, until the crust is crispy and slightly charred around the edges.
- Remove the pizzas from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
By following these simple steps, you can create your own delicious Brooklyn style pizza at home. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different toppings and techniques to make it your own!
Final Word: Brooklyn Style Pizza
Brooklyn style pizza is not only delicious, but it is also a cultural icon of New York City – the pizza capital of the world.
It has become a symbol of the city’s vibrant and diverse culinary scene and is beloved by locals and tourists alike. The pizza’s popularity has even spread beyond the United States, with pizzerias around the world now offering their own versions of the classic dish.
Its thin and crispy texture, chewiness, and slightly charred edges make it a unique and satisfying pizza experience. If you call yourself a pizza lover, you have to try Brooklyn style pizza.
FAQs - What Is Brooklyn Style Pizza?
What is different about Brooklyn pizza?
Brooklyn pizza is different because of its thin and crispy crust. Authentic Brooklyn style pizza also has slightly charred edges.
What is Brooklyn style pizza vs thin crust?
Brooklyn style pizza, like thin crust pizza, has a thin and crispy crust. The primary difference between the 2 is the dough ingredients (Brooklyn style pizza typically has more gluten and sometimes cornmeal), and that Brooklyn style pizza slices are wide and foldable.
What does Domino's Brooklyn Style mean?
Domino's Brooklyn Style pizza is Domino’s take on New York pizza, featuring wide, thin, and crispy slices that are perfect for folding. And while I wouldn’t go as far as to say it reminds me of the (absolutely amazing) pizza you can find in New York itself, it’s certainly a solid imitation made accessible by one of America’s biggest pizza chains.